Friday, December 4, 2009

How much is too much?

I am new to this posting thing, but I must say it has my attention. I am not sure what is the proper etiquette for writing posts, at least in terms of quantity. How prolific am I allowed to be? I seem to be full of ideas but iuncertain whether they will be of any value or interest. Do you ever feel that way? I guess I should decide why I am writing. Is it for me or for my (nonexistant) readers? I suppose it's like the the proverbial tree that falls in the forest. No one will hear.

The question about what is the driver for self-expression does resonate with me. It is an intereststing question, because I don't have the answer. Why does an artist paint? To express himself, or communicate something, or both? "Both" is a lazy answer, even if it is true some of the time. I guess it depends on who is the artist and what is their canvass....so much of what we see around us today is just good craft, clever technique--pleasing, but not really art. So it is with our own self expression: some endeavours might approach artistry, most do not.

I think a self-conscious artist never really achieves breakthrough--the moderating influence of the reader is just too powerful, too compromising. I guess I lean more toward art as self-expression than comminication, and so it should be with my writing.

Now I am not saying this blog is or ever will be truly "art", but it is the question itself that matters. Not because there is one right answer, but because my asking it drives my behaviour, my perspective, and my sense of freedom.

But I do kind of wish I had some readers.

1 comment:

  1. Never too much! I always look forward to what you're going to say. And it inspires me to improve my "once a month" record.

    ReplyDelete