Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Why "Wide Angle Stun"?

Why is this blog entitled "Wide Angle Stun"? I don't know, exactly. I guess the thought of it always struck me funny--remember on Star Trek from the 60's when they would get into danger and use their stun ray to knock everyone out harmlessly? (Well, maybe that's what this blog will do to you.) What always struck me was at least one episode of that campy-but-endearing show featured a setting called "wide angle" stun...you press the button and everyone in the room falls to the floor helpless, calm, and relaxed. So I guess I always thought that was a pretty great feature.

I kind of wish I had it some days with my kids, or at work, or when facing an angry mob of aliens. It would be kind of nice to just step off for a minute and rearrange the world for a minute while they are all sleeping. So it seems to line up the purpose for my blog in some strange way, though I am not sure exactly sure what that is. For now, it is just a place to offload some thoughts on just about anything. And I will probably keep exploring really what makes that name stick with me.

The truth about the wide angle stun setting is it is too powerful, as a storytelling device. You hit the button and presto--problem solved! Threat neutralized. Story over. No wonder they soon stopped using that feature...it kills creativity, and creativity thrives on constraints. (A pet theory of mine.)

So this is a pretty meandering post. I just wanted to rip one off to get the ball rolling. Maybe someday I will look up that episode reference. Maybe I will explore the deep hidden meaning behind that title. Maybe not. Maybe I will just use it as a reminder to step off, lighten up and find my voice.

But I'll pack my phaser just in case.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about the lack of paragraph breaks! They were there but I thought it would show as double lines. First. Post. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they changed that since I started my blog. Good start, Babe! I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah they now use a line break instead of a pargraph mark for paragraphs, so it is actually an improvement, I think....I wonder if I can make this comment posting more dull...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! I too wasn't quite sure who I was writing to in my first post of my new blog (www.onelifetolah.blogspot.com). I thought it would be a good mind drain for me, but now I'm a little self-conscious with everyone reading it!

    But I think you put it best when you differentiated between self-expression and communication. My thrust is also more about self-expression than communication and I guess I too will find my voice over the coming weeks and future posts!

    ReplyDelete