Monday, February 18, 2013

Quotation Station


For some years now I have been meaning to start a this topic as a recurring blog, in many ways inspired by a blog series by good friend of the family and lifelong friend to my wife, Denise Nielsen. (Check out one of her History Mystery postings.) I suppose I was mostly inspired by the cutesy rhyming title of the posting, but if truth be told, I was also pretty impressed that she would take the time to write about something that mattered to her in such a fun and innovative way. I am not sure I can be that fun or innovative, but I am hoping I will return to the Quotation Station many times again and maybe the law of large numbers will do the work of profundity.

Over the years I have collected favourite quotations as I come across them. I have used some quotation sites to send me daily quotations, but often they are of dubious origin and authenticity, so few make onto my list. Every once in a while I'll open it up and realize how great some of these words are...how precise, compact, and direct they are. (In comparison to my loquacious nature.)

Here are a few off the top of my head:
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." —John Wooden
(I have got to read that book...and do a basketball-related posting.) 
"A liberal man is too broad minded to take his own side in a quarrel." —Robert Frost  
(Makes me think of US politics.)
“A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools.” ―Thucydides
What are some of your favourite quotations? comment below!

3 comments:

  1. In my world everyone is ponies and eats rainbows and poops butterflies!
    - Fluffy Pirana Toothed Creature in Horton Hears A Who

    ReplyDelete
  2. Necessary? Is it necessary to drink my own urine? Of course not! But I do it because it's sterile and I like the taste...
    - Dodgeball

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The noblest art is that of making others happy"
    - P. T. Barnum

    ReplyDelete